Here’s a recent announcement from our friends at Whole Foods Market
Whole Food Market’s annual “Crack Heard Around the World” is coming up on Saturday, March 7 at noon. As you may recall, this is a national event where all Whole Foods Market stores across the country simultaneously “crack” and sample an 85-pound wheel of authentic Parmigiano Reggiano — event is free and includes tastings and pairings!
- Each year Whole Foods Market‘s cheese experts visit the Emilia Romagna region of Italy and select wheels from just four producers
- Each wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano is 85 pounds and requires special knives to “crack” it open
- Only cheese made in area specific area in Northern Italy — Reggio Emilia, Parma, Modena and portions of Bologna and Mantua – can bear the Parmigiano Reggiano name.
- Every wheel at Whole Foods Market is aged 24 months (this is the best age in terms of flavor and texture; it cannot be called Parmigiano Reggiano until it is aged at least 12 months)
- Its flavor profile is toasted, salty and nutty with subtle crystal-like texture and a little goes a long way