|Photo borrowed from the Seattle Met|
Check out this note from our friends at Whole Foods Market
This time of year, sticking to those New Years Resolutions becomes harder as we settle back into our routines. Well, Whole Foods Market is here to make sure you keep to your goals–whether it’s following a certain diet or just eating a few more greens and to feel your absolute best.
With so many resources on Whole Foods Market’s recently updated site, there’s plenty of inspiration to keep you going–check out the website. For now, though, here’s a breakdown of some of the highlights:
The Four Pillars of Healthy Eating from Whole Foods Market
1. Focus on Whole Foods. Foods in their most essential, basic forms are the best ingredients for nutritious and tasty meals. Try foods without artificial flavors, preservatives, colors, sweeteners, etc.
2. Eat Plan Strong. Any diet can flourish with a focus on plant-based foods. The majority of your meal should contain raw and cooked veggies, fruits, beans, etc. to keep your body functioning at its best. Eat a colorful variety of plants to ensure you’re getting the best nutrients for your body.
3. Choose Healthy Fats. Healthy fats are part of a healthy diet, and can be found in nuts, seeds and avocados. Try to minimize or eliminate extracted oils and processed fats on a daily basis. These healthy cooking techniques are a great place for continued inspiration.
4. Consider Nutrient Density. Vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients are essential for your health. Eating veggies in all colors will help you get the most out of your diet.
The four pillars serve as a great foundation to start the year off on the right foot, and in keeping with eating whole foods and colorful veggies, why not try out some of these easy recipes in the kitchen? Some of our favorites are:
* Zesty Quninoa with Broccoli and Cashews – perfect side dish for any type of meal
* Tofu Ricotta – pair it with lasagna, stuffed shells or pizza!
* Red beans and rice soup – a favorite for Mardi Gras, but perfect to try out now!
You can find all the healthy recipes here.
You can also check out the weekly meal plans we’ve created, which are sure-fire way to stay on track. There’s even shopping lists to help keep you organized! I’m a fan of the Healthy Comfort Food Favorites meal plan. You can view all of the weekly meal plans here.